I live in one of the most beautiful places in Australia – according to ME. I have a job I love (most of the time), 3 beautiful girls, who are old enough now to be independent…but still need their Mummy. #1 is nearly 21, lives with BF, #2 is nearly 18, saving hard for a gap year in the UK and # 3 is 14, loves One Direction and the Hunger Games. Hubby and I have been married 21 years and I don’t know what I would do with out him.



I spend far too much time on the computer – often pretending to work, so when all my words with friend’s games are played and the gossip and news of the world read, I will BLOG.



Wednesday 19 June 2013

Photoshop Police

Any one who reads my blog or follows me on Facebook or Flickr know that I love photoshop....I embraced photoshop as quickly and as passionately as I embraced photography. I love it. This is not going to be a post on Photoshop VS SOOC (straight out of camera), I see and understand both sides of the argument and strongly believe that there is no right or wrong way. 

I follow a lot of photographers on Facebook, amateur, professional and  everyone in between, I love looking at other peoples work and getting ideas and inspiration. I don't think there is ever a new idea, only different peoples interpretations. 

Today I am going to critique someone's work - I do not know this person, I do not follow her FB page (nor will I) she has close to 3000 likes for her page with lots of gushing comments. Her photos are very good however she has added a bird in all her outdoor photos, the same bird in every photo. The editing is not good that even (as hubby would say) blind Freddy can see the copy and paste halo. In my mind she has distracted from good work not added to it. 

If she was a friend or one of my photography comunity I would comment on her page about such an obvious PS mistake - the halo not the bird, as she is not I would normally pass right by these images with a smug smile knowing I am better that that....then I read the description on one of the images. There will always be something I love about maternity sessions... and then there's that awesome moment when a bird flies into the shot... Seriously who are her clients


BTW she offers posing and Photoshop tutorials for $900 per day!


I get the whole add something to make it photo your own, like a trademark. I know of people who will photoshop a fly or a flower somewhere on all their photos so even if the watermark is removed there is an identifying mark on all the images they produce.  These marks are subtle and often hard to find. 

These are a few PS fails I found on the internet today....so many to choose from so little time

Lost - most of my horse....


The famous office chair in front of the Eiffel Tower - I wonder if #2 had this photo opportunity 


All the tutorials I have watched has been very clear about avoiding repeating patterns - I guess repeating people are OK....I wonder what was there in the original.

I know I am not perfect and have made some pretty fake PS photos, I was going to show them here only I have not saved them. I am getting better at seeing my mistakes before I publish anything... and I have a very good family who let me know what they think of my finished work. The good the bad and the ugly.

I don't know why this upset me so much today....I guess I never will know. It just did.

(perhaps it is the guilt of not finishing my latest edits....perhaps it is envy for all the likes on her page...maybe I am just a bitter old lady with too much time spent on FB.....)




No comments:

Post a Comment