I live in one of the most beautiful places in Australia – according to ME. I have a job I love (most of the time), 3 beautiful girls, who are old enough now to be independent…but still need their Mummy. #1 is nearly 21, lives with BF, #2 is nearly 18, saving hard for a gap year in the UK and # 3 is 14, loves One Direction and the Hunger Games. Hubby and I have been married 21 years and I don’t know what I would do with out him.



I spend far too much time on the computer – often pretending to work, so when all my words with friend’s games are played and the gossip and news of the world read, I will BLOG.



Thursday 15 November 2012

Baby shows and movies

This week it is all about #2, she is turning 18, graduating from high school and had her formal and first big party with alcohol.
Soooo to share the love I took #3 to see the last Twilight movie on the day it was released (ok we all know it was because I wanted to see it!). We laughed, cried purred (rolls tongue with delight) when Jacob took his clothes off and we PHEWED when there was a twisted that I didn't see coming. I have read the books (and listened to them on audio book) so I was a bit surprised with the end of the movie. There was a bit of creative license by the producer. This is all I am going to say, I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

We got to the shopping center early, wanting to get tickets for the early session of the movies - I have a busy week (running around with #1). Central court was full of prams and babies and toddlers all dressed in frills and ribbons - A baby show.  Not that I have anything against thinking your baby is the sweetest, cutest most beautiful baby in the world (I know mine were). BUT do you have to parade them around like cattle in the middle of a shopping center. I had noticed a few particular mothers when we walked pasted the first time, after the movie and lunch these women (girls) were still there with their babies. 3 hours waiting around for some overweight and seemingly overbearing matron to give you a $5 trophy and a sash with 'most placid baby' printed on it. Seriously!

The shopping center I frequent is in a low socioeconomic area (it is the closest). The population is predominantly overweight with a high percentage of teen pregnancies. After the baby show yesterday I counted a group of  14 mums with young babies there was at least 8 girls under 18, they all had tattoo and the whole group was smoking (this was outside the shopping center near the banks) As I was waiting for #2 to join us I sat and watched this group for a bit. Some doted on their babies, some ignored theirs completely, this was not a mothers group like I attended - sharing tips, getting advice, talking with an other adult and socializing our babies, this was a group of school girls who all set out to have babies so they could leave school and get government payments.

I am not being harsh or generalizing I listened to their conversations and overheard a 'grandmother' yelling that she would not look after the F##ken baby while 'YOU slut around and get the government money'. I feel sorry for the babies, they are going to grow up thinking this is the way it is so they wil have babies while they are still babies and the cycle will continue.

Oh well, I know my girls are loved and have a happy, healthy home life. We talk everyday and I know what they do - good, bad and ugly. 

#2 has opened her presents and is ready for the last day of school - not that is a day, she has a BBQ in the morning, a talk about the big bad world, then parents watch as the whole school claps and send them on their way.

#1 is coming to spend the day with us and will help me prepare the birthday dinner. 

Photos from formal coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment